Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hippocrates stricken in Gaza

The Hippocratic Oath states: "I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity. I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity. The health and life of my patient will be my first consideration. I will cure all patients with the same diligence and commitment. I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient."

In Gaza, doctors and nurses where killed, hospitals and ambulances targeted. Those who dedicate their lives to heal are attacked because they were trying to live up to the oath.
UN, WHO, WMA, Geneva conventions. IHL.. words and acronyms that do not hear the cries of agonizing heroes nor smell the odor of putrid bodies of innocent heroes.



Picture: Palestinian doctors send the wounded babies to a hospital in Gaza City on Monday morinng. Israeli warplanes pounded the building of Palestinian Foreign Ministry on Sunday night which is the second attack against Palestinian government building within one week.

4 comments:

  1. True peace is not merely the absence of tension, it is the presence of justice" -Martin Luther King Jr.
    What happened in Gaza was a blatant act of injustice and the world cannot stay neutral in the face of this total disregard for all values that are at the core of decent human beings. In the words of Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friends,
    I will take the opportunity of this blog to say one thing.
    Hippocrates was indeed stricken in Gaza. As he was stricken in Jenin and Qana.
    The irony is Hippocrates is stricken also in our clinics and hospitals
    almost everyday when an old man is ignored because ?ma herzaneh, he
    is old?, and a woman is not being treated very well because she cannot
    pay. Hippocrates is stricken everyday in our hospitals in the Arab
    world when doctors think of money, of fame and prestige and not of
    their patients. We used to be the best doctors, the humane doctors.
    Arabs have a history. What happened to us????
    I hope Hippocrates will not enter a coma and then die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they will continue to be words because the powers that can do something do not want to do anything. Doctors CARE, politics does not. Humanitiarians CARE, politics does not. When superpowers develop a conscience, things will change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a physician in Israel, I have been taking care of the wounded from shelling from the Gaza strip since 2001. I trained in Northern Israel, where my classmates and teachers were Jews and Arabs. My patients were Jews and Arabs. We are all humans, we all bleed from trauma, we want our children to go to school without fear, we all love our friends and family. And we all love our culture. Why can't we stop pointing fingers and try to make a rational decision, for a change - and love each other? We Israelis have so much in common with our Arab neighbors...but go read the newspapers, you'll think we are worlds apart. But we are not. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete